Russell Independent School district, located in Greenup County, KY, has four education buildings totaling 288,000 square feet with a student enrollment of approximately 2,186. The district’s mission is to inspire and empower all students to reach their maximum potential: one student, one lesson, and one day at a time.
- High energy costs weighed heavily on Russell Independent Schools
- district needed a partner to assist in identifying areas for energy sustainability improvement
- Harshaw Trane approached the district with an Intelligent Services package that would provide a solution to their energy concerns.
- The package included constant energy and performance monitoring in real time, access to a technical support desk and quarterly consultations to review and interpret data collected.
- The district was offered a shared savings approach. The agreement guaranteed that the energy savings to be realized by Russell Independent Schools would outweigh the cost of the program or Harshaw Trane would credit the difference to the upcoming year’s contract.
- A Trane water source heat pump, controls as well as Tracer Summit with Tracer ES were installed.
- Russell-McDowell Intermediate School received a new chiller, boiler and Trane controls.
- Russell Independent Schools realized three times the energy savings Harshaw Trane had guaranteed, totaling more than $69,000 in energy cost avoidance.
- After only one year, school officials opted to continue the program as a standard agreement in order to retain all of the energy savings rather than continue the shared savings contract.
- Each of the four schools saw an increase in their ENERGY STAR score, the largest being 35 points.
- The success of the shared savings approach was in large part due to the shared partnership and responsibility between Harshaw Trane and Russell Independent Schools.